Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Tea Pot Still Life

Gesso the canvas, giving the canvas a flat background and allowing the canvas to absorb the oil paint. Next, I tone the canvas with a transparent wash of Burnt Senna. Toning the canvas helps by giving the painting a basic beginning background. After that I design in the abstract. I draw in shapes to corner off areas for each object. I remember to paint off the canvas using up any and all empty space.
Using the "L" shaped view finders to make the exact shapes of objects in the still life. Next, I draw the outside edges making sure that everything is symetrical. This stage involves me giving a more detailed drawing concept. I first draw the box because its the base of the tea pot. I shape the fruit in the bowl. Also draw in the vase and coffee cup. The tea pot is the last one I draw to focus most of my attention on.

The third stage is the most difficult. I start blocking in the local color. I remember to paint dark to light and thin to thick. The first color I paint is the box using burnt senna. Next, I paint in the blue vase with the dark blue paint right out of the tube. I take the blue and orange paint with a little bit of white to create me a gray to start off the daisies. I create a hunter green to show the leaves. I paint in the lemon and oranges with their colors right out of the tube.

2 comments: